Saturday, November 3, 2012

Break My Heart for What Breaks Yours



Today was a very difficult day for me.  My heart just felt so sad and so broken.  Life today just felt empty, sad, gray and dreary.  Lately I've felt as if so much has happened to me within a one year's time...my dad passed away, my mom already got remarried, my parents' home is going to be sold and I have gained soooo much weight.  I guess I sort of feel like I've lost both of my parents and that was probably my main reason for my sadness today.  I feel like I am in a thick fog and I can't seem to find my way out.  I don't understand why things had to happen so quickly, but maybe there is something more that I am not understanding. 

I have been thinking a lot lately about something that I once heard referring to God.  "Break my heart for what breaks yours."  As I cried many tears today I thought about this.  I needed to have a little time to myself today so I decided to go to the grocery store~yippee!  When I got to the checkout line I noticed the clerk was a young woman probably not much older than myself missing quite a bit of her hair on the top of her head.  She had shoulder length hair, but was balding the way an older gentleman might bald.  My heart broke for her.  She was so pleasant and so kind.  I'm sure she has heard the whispers and received the stares of many people.  I'm sure she has cried many tears wondering why someone her age has to go through something like this.  It just broke my heart. 

Another thing that happened today that really pulled and tugged on my heart was a young mom's little boy who has really struggled physically and was able to giggle for the first time.  This giggle brought so much joy to his parents.  Then, all in the same day, getting news of a man and woman's young daughter who passed away yesterday.  I guess where I am going with this is when you feel like life seems hopeless or unfair, try to look around and maybe ask God "Lord, break my heart for what breaks yours."  I have a lot to be thankful for. 

With Thanksgiving approaching, I would love to hear something that you have witnessed that has tugged on your heart and opened your eyes to be thankful for what you have. 

From my heart to yours,
 
Terra :o)

6 comments:

  1. Sweet words, Terra! I am sorry for the sadness that enveloped you today. I am thankful for 3 healthy boys that laugh and play and make loud noise in my house. At times it can drive me crazy, but then I realize, after hearing some very sad stories this past week, that we have our children for but a moment and we need to cherish every moment (loud and quiet) with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Katy :o) I definately agree! You made me also think about the messes that can come along with having little ones. I'm specifically thinking about little boys since that is what I'm use to...all of those nerf bullets and lego pieces that lay around the house in every little nook and cranny. Someday, those toys will be permanently cleaned up and I'll miss finding those little surprises. These messes can serve as a reminder that we have a home full of life...precious lives!

      Delete
  2. Terra, I'm so sorry that you have been having such a sad time lately. Change is difficult, and you've had some huge changes to deal with this year. I love this post though, because it does help to look outside ourselves.

    I have been broken hearted lately over many people who do not know Jesus. I know that God is calling me to be bold in witnessing to others, and I want to do whatever He asks me to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elaine. I keep trying to remind myself that if God has allowed it, He has a reason for it and He will work all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28) :o)

      I am so glad to have people like you who want people to know Jesus. I believe that the prayer of salvation is the most important prayer a person can pray. In the end, where a person will spend eternity is what will truly matter. I know that I want all those who I love and care about to be safe.

      When visiting with a pastor once, my heart was breaking for some loved ones. I was worried about their hearts' condition. We talked about salvation and praying that these loved ones would not be able to go anywhere without hearing or seeing something about Jesus and how much He loves them. Sometimes I have even been so desperate that I've prayed that whatever it would take to grab their attention that God would allow it to happen, but sometimes it takes something drastic and you have to be prepared.

      Keep going Elaine! Isn't it nice to know that His word will not return void (Isaiah 55: 11) :o)

      Delete
  3. I got teary reading... :) Thanks for your words. there are definitely so many difficult things outside of our own lives, and no matter what we are going through,Jesus helps us bear it. I've shed so many tears over Eli and his development, and it was great to have something great to celebrate! God is faithful, even if not in the way we want. And I definitely needed the reminder to see others suffering as well instead of just focusing on my own issues! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jessica, your children are so sweet! Watching the video clip of little Eli smiling and giggling for the first time touched and tugged on my heart in so many ways. I really, really needed to see that video! Thank you sooooo much for sharing it. Eli is so very, very precious and I believe that God sees something very special in both you and your husband for blessing you with this precious little boy named Eli.

      Delete