Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Not a lot, but just enough

As I was getting ready this morning, I realized that I was completely out of my very favorite lip liner.  I knew that I had another lip liner that I could use, but it was a little on the bright side and it definately wasn't my favorite.  After deciding to use it, I was surprised to see how it brightened up my face and didn't look so bad.  I actually began to like it and decided that before I'd buy a new one, I would use this one until it was gone.

It's funny how this lip liner incident would remind me of something more serious.  I was reminded of this past July (2011) when my father was lying in an ICU room recovering from a triple bypass heart surgery and learning that the doctor had also found lung cancer.  My dad sure had a lot to be discouraged with, but my dad told a pastor who came to visit him "We never had a lot, but we always had enough."  Later that summer dad also learned that he had prostate cancer as well.  He died that November, but he didn't die a bitter man.  Dad didn't have a lot of time, but God gave him just enough time to tell all of his family everything that he so deeply wanted to say to each of them.    

Sometimes in life we get discouraged.  We wish we had more.  We wish we looked different.  But if you give God a chance, he'll show up in unexpected ways and sometimes those ways can be the most beautiful.  I challenge you to try to look for God's hand in your life each day.

I dedicate this first entry to you dad...I love and miss you very much.   

2 comments:

  1. Terra, welcome to blogging! When I clicked on your link, I didn't realize that this was YOUR blog. I love it!

    And I agree very much with your concept of having just enough. I think that goes for activities as well as stuff. Sometimes I get bogged down with too many activities, and then I don't have time to see God's hand at work in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elaine,
      thank you so much for your kind words :o) You have certainly inspired me and I absolutely LOVE your blog! I find it to be very helpful.

      When my dad was sick, I started something similar to a blog on CaringBridge. A friend of mine had introduced me to that wonderful site because she used it when her mom was sick. That site ended up being such a blessing to our family as well as our friends. Dad enjoyed hearing the things that I would write in regards to him and his condition. He really appreciated the encouraging words that other people would write to him. We all found it to be really therapeutic. Now that my dad has passed, my mom and I are so thankful to have those journal entries and pictures to look back on.

      Shortly before dad passed away, he told me that he wanted me to write something for other people to help and encourage them. Maybe this blog will be just the beginning of what dad and I had talked about :o)

      I completely agree with you and understand what you are saying about too many activities. As a mother of two young boys (one who is really getting involved with sports), I am realizing how too many activities can become too much for the whole family.

      I love referring back to the book by Elizabeth George called "A Woman After God's Own Heart." She talks about getting our priorities in order...our relationship with God first, our husband, our children, our home and then our ministry. It is such a great book!

      Thank you so much for comment. I really appreciate it and if you get a chance, check out that book ;o)

      Delete